MARCH 20TH HORSE AUCTION IS CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19 CLOSINGS
The owner, Harry Eyler, began in 1933 selling horses and livestock. At that time, draft and workhorses were a necessity on a farm. Harry would go out to Billings, Montana and buy loads of horses that would be shipped back to Thurmont on rail cars to the local train station.
In the mid 1930's Harry allowed his daughter-in-law, Ruth, to have auctions for riding horses at the stables. Ruth would travel down through Virginia, the Carolinas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and many other southern states buying loads of quality riding horses and shipping them back to be sold at the horse auction.
In 1937 Harry died, suffering a heart attack in the auctioneer's box. At that point, Joe and Ruth Eyler took over management of the horse auction. Their son, Albert, joined in and worked side by side with his parents until Joe's death in 1988.
In 1999 Albert passed away. The following year his daughter, Niki, took over the horse auctions. In 2010, Niki subcontracted the sales to another auction company. That not only kept The Eyler Stables tradition going, but helped Niki retain ownership.
Early 2019, the auction company gave up their lease. Niki took over management of the horse auctions again and even added a livestock and produce auction.
Eggs & produce, poultry, rabbits, goats, sheep, bovine, pigs, hay & straw, farm supplies & equipment.
8:30 pm - Horses
Horses & ponies, new & used tack both English & Western, hay , farm equipment & supplies, trailers, carts & buggies.
8:30 pm - Horses
11:00 am Horses
There will be a sale preview on Friday, September 25, 2020.
5:00 pm to 7:00 pm
11:00 am Horses
Check out the flea market when you come to the auctions or on the weekends. We are open year round every Saturday and Sunday 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Trucks, Trailers, Machinery, Carts, Buggies & Hay: 10%
Tack & Misc farm items: 20%
Saddles: 15% No-sale fee $5.00
Horses: 10% on the 1st $2,000 and 8% on any amount over $2,000 with a $25 minimum commission. Commission is based on the total amount of all horses sold by consignor.
No Sale fee on horses: $20.00
Coggins drawn day of sale: $30.00. Coggins is charged to buyer. If horse is not sold, coggins is charged to seller.
Small Animals : 20% with a $2.00 minimum on total sales
Goats, Sheep, Bovine & Pigs: 10% with $10 per head minimum
Scrapie tag fee: $4.00
Cash, debit or credit cards are accepted for payment on all purchases. 3% fee charged on all debit and credit card purchases. No buyer's premium.
Maryland Sales Tax of 6% is added to all purchases, unless buyer has a Maryland tax exempt number.
1. TERMS OF SALE. All payments must be made in full to THE EYLER STABLES. Cash, credit or debit card. A 3% administration fee will be added to all credit and debit card purchases. A $25 fee will be charged on all return checks. Appropriate legal services will be obtained to secure the performance of any check given and no exception will be made. Under no circumstances will the purchaser stop payment of a check. In the event that a horse purchased is returned, purchaser will receive a full refund from The Eyler Stables.
2. SOUNDNESS AGREEMENT. Consignor has the responsibility to inform the Sale Company of any unsoundness a horse may have. Cribbers, wind suckers, stall weavers, and cryptorchids must also be identified. Mental attitudes, fears, behaviors, illness and death are not included in this agreement. There is no guarantee on horses sold AS IS or on any horse selling for $600 or less. Horses sold SOUND may be subject to a veterinary examination at the purchaser's expense. The exam will exclude all physical defects so stated by the consignor and will be limited to the horse's current condition. THE FAILURE OF FLEXION TESTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED REASON TO RETURN A HORSE. X-RAYS WILL BE NECESSARY. The results must be completed and reported to The Eyler Stables within three (3) days after the sale. A written veterinary certificate is required. It is the purchaser's responsibility to provide safe transportation and have proper facilities to maintain the horse prior to the veterinary examination. If a horse has to be return, it must be brought to The Eyler Stables in acceptable condition. No new lumps, bumps, scrapes or bite marks. Transportation done for or by the purchaser is at their own expense.
3. PAYMENT ON HORSES SOLD SOUND. The consignor's check will be held for three (3) days after the sale. To insure prompt delivery of your check, be sure The Eyler Stables has your full name and proper mailing address. In the event a horse is returned, the consignor is responsible for paying commission on the selling price of that horse and any other sale fees incurred. The horse will remain property of The Eyler Stables until these fees are paid. The purchaser will be given a full refund from The Eyler Stables on any horse returned.
4. COGGINS TEST. All horses consigned to the auction will be subject to a coggins test. Blood sample will be drawn the day of the auction, at the purchaser's expense. In the event that a horse is a "No Sale", the consignor is responsible for the expense. To insure prompt delivery of the test results, be sure The Eyler Stables has your full name and proper mailing address.
5. POSITIVELY NO PRIVATE DEALING OF HORSES IS PERMITTED IN THE SALE BARN OR ON SALE COMPANY PROPERTY.
6. TACK, MERCHANDISE, TRAILERS, EQUIPMENT, HAY, ETC. The Eyler Stables does not guarantee any of the above listed items. It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser to examine items prior to bidding. The Eyler Stables is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items. Any unclaimed items will be sold at the following sale as property of The Eyler Stables.
7. CAUTION. Everyone attending this sale agrees to save and hold harmless and indemnify The Eyler Stables, employees, and representative therof, from any and all responsibilities, liabilities, obligations, claims, or legal proceeding arising from any accident that may occur to consignors, spectators, buyers, horses or equipment for loss by fire, theft, or for injury or death to any human or animal in any way or manner.
8. All announcements made the day of the auction will supersede any printed materi