Space available for yard sales, crafts or antiques during Colorfest. Info below.
The owner, Harry Eyler, began in 1933 selling horses and livestock. At that time, draft and workhorses were a necessity on a farm. Harry would go out to Billings, Montana and buy loads of horses that would be shipped back to Thurmont on rail cars to the local train station.
In the mid 1930's Harry allowed his daughter-in-law, Ruth, to have sales for riding horses at the stables. Ruth would travel down through Virginia, the Carolinas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and many other southern states buying loads of quality riding horses and have them shipped back to sell.
In 1937 Harry died, suffering a heart attack in the auctioneer's box. At that point Joe and Ruth Eyler took over management of the stables. Their son, Albert, joined in and worked side by side with his parents until Joe's death in 1988.
In 1999 Albert passed away and the following year daughter, Niki, took over. In 2010 Niki subcontracted the sales to an auction company. That not only kept the sales tradition going but helped Niki retain ownership.
Early 2019 the auction company gave up their lease and Niki took back over the sales again along with Brian Smith.
Eggs/produce, poultry, rabbits, goats, sheep, hay/straw, farm supplies/equipment.
8:30 pm - Horses
Horses, tack, hay, farm equipment/supplies, trailer, etc.
8:30 pm - Horses
11:00 am Horses
There will be a sales preview on Friday, October 25th.
5:00 pm to 7:00 pm
See below some of the picture of horses and tack that will be sold at this sale.
11:00 am Horses
Check out the flea market when you come to the horse auction or on the weekends. We are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Items are always changing.
October 9, 10, 11, 12, & 13th.
Rent space for one day or all five days
$30 per day for three or less days
$20 per day for four or all five days
(permit from town required if setting up on 12th & 13th)
Remember we are one of the spots that bus transportation is provided
Trucks, Trailers, Machinery, Carts, Buggies & Hay: 10%
Tack & Misc farm items: 20%
Saddles: 15% No-sale fee $5.00
Horses: 10% on the 1st $2,000 and 8% on any amount over $2,000
(Commission is based on the total amount of all horses sold by one consignor)
$25 Minimum commission
No Sale fee on horses: $20.00
Coggins drawn day of sale: $26.00
(Charged to buyer. If horse not sold charged to seller)
Small Animals : 20% with a $2.00 minimum on total sales
(Produce, eggs, poultry, rabbits, etc.)
Goats & Sheep: 10% with $10 per head minimum
(Scrapie tag fee $4.00)
Cash, debit or credit cards are accepted for payment on all purchases. 3% fee if using a debit or credit card. There is no buyer premium.
Maryland Sales Tax of 6% is added to all purchases unless the buyer has a Maryland tax exempt number.
1. TERMS OF SALE. All payments must be made in full to THE EYLER STABLES. Cash, check, or credit card. A 3% administration fee will be added to all credit and debit card purchases. A $25 fee will be charged on all return checks. Appropriate legal services will be obtained to secure the performance of any check given and no exception will be made. Under no circumstances will the purchaser stop payment of a check. In the event that a horse purchased is returned, purchaser will receive a full refund from The Eyler Stables.
2. SOUNDNESS AGREEMENT. Consignor has the responsibility to inform the Sale Company of any unsoundness a horse may have. Cribbers, windsuckers, stall weavers, and cryptorchids must also be identified. Mental attitudes, fears, behaviors, illness and death are not included in this agreement. There is no guarantee on horses sold AS IS or any horse selling for $600 or less. Horses sold SOUND may be subject to a veterinary examination at the purchaser's expense. The exam will exclude all physical defects so stated by the consignor and will be limited to the horse's current condition. THE FAILURE OF FLEXION TESTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED REASON TO RETURN A HORSE. X-RAYS WILL BE NECESSARY. The results must be completed and reported to The Eyler Stables within three (3) days after the sale. A written veterinary certificate is required. It is the purchaser's responsibility to provide safe transportation and have proper facilities to maintain the horse prior to the veterinary examination. If a horse has to be return, it must be brought to The Eyler Stables in acceptable condition. No new lumps, bumps, scrapes or bite marks. Transportation done for or by the purchaser is at their own expense.
3. PAYMENT ON HORSES SOLD SOUND. The consignor's check will be held for three (3) days after the sale. To insure prompt delivery of your check, be sure The Eyler Stables has your full name and proper mailing address. In the event a horse is returned, the consignor is responsible for paying commission on the selling price of that horse and any other sale fees incurred. The horse will remain property of Thee Eyler Stables until these fees are paid. The purchaser will be given a full refund from The Eyler Stables on any horse returned.
4. COGGIN TEST. All horses consigned to the auction will be subject to a coggins test. Blood sample will be drawn the day of the auction, at the purchaser's expense. In the event that a horse is a "No Sale", the consignor is responsible for the expense. To insure prompt delivery of the test results, be sure The Eyler Stables has your full name and proper mailing address.
5. POSITIVELY NO PRIVATE DEALING OF HORSES IS PERMITTED IN THE SALE BARN OR ON SALE COMPANY PROPERTY.
6. TACK, MERCHANDIS, TRAILERS, EQUIPMENT, HAY, ETC. The Eyler Stables does not guarantee any of the above listed items. It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser to examine items prior to bidding. The Eyler Stables is not responsible for the lost, stolen, or damaged items. Any unclaimed items will be sold at the following sale as property of The Eyler Stables.
7. CAUTION. Everyone attending this sale agrees to save and hold harmless and indemnify The Eyler Stables, employees, and representative therof, from any and all responsibilities, liabilities, obligations, claims, or legal proceeding arising from any accident that may occur to consignors, spectators, buyers, horses or equipment for loss by fire, theft, or for injury or death to any human or animal in any way or manner.
8. All announcements made thee day of the auction will supersede any printed material.